these tasty Avocados in
your own packaging?
Would you like to discover what's possible?Contact us now
- In the shop: min. 5°C – max. 7°C
- Ethylene sensitivity: high
- Ethylene productivity: high
- At home: keep in a cool, dark place
Quality and ripeness
- Dark green/brown studded skin.
- Pear or egg-shaped or spherical.
- The skin of a ripe avocado will be a bit flexible when rubbing it.
- When you lightly press a ripe avocado with your fingers, it will give way to your pressure.
Special Fruit ripens avocados in special ripening cells. We have advanced rooms with 'forced air' technology that allow us to speed up or slow down the ripening process, almost at will. An avocado with the RTE label of BestChoice is guaranteed to be ripe for consumption.
Avocado is easy to cut: cut the ripe fruit in half and scoop out the flesh after removing the pit. The skin itself is not edible. Sprinkle some lemon juice onto the flesh to prevent it from turning brown.
The avocado does not have a distinctly sweet taste but does add a subtle touch to a dish with its creamy texture. It is very popular in both sweet and savoury dishes. Especially in the vegetarian kitchen, the avocado plays a prominent role as a substitute for meat due to its high fat concentration. In addition, the avocado is often combined with lime, tomato, shrimp, chicken and a broad range of salads. You can also add avocado to a regular smoothie for a creamier texture and a prolonged sense of saturation. Then there is of course the famous guacamole, where the avocado is the king of the dish.
Did you know that:
- the avocado contains a large concentration of nutrients such as potassium, vitamin B, folic acid and omega-3 fatty acids?
- an avocado contains more (healthy!) fats than any other product?
- the flesh of avocados can be used as a remedy for rough skin or dry hair?
Recipe: avocado chocolate mousse
- 2 ripe avocado's
- 1/2 cup cacao powder unsweetened
- 1/2 cup cocosblossom sugar or agave sirop or (brown)sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond or soy milk or water
- 1 tbsp vanilla sugar
- cut the avocado's in half and scoop uit the flesh. Put in a blender or kitchen robot.
- add all other ingredients and mix till smooth.
- spoon or pipe in glasses and chill in the fridge till ready to eat.
Recipe: Avocado rolls
- 2 ripe avocado's
- 1 small can tuna in brine
- 1 red onion, cut finely
- 2 table spoons lemon juice
- salt, pepper, garlic
- 4 lettuce leafs
Cut the avocado’s in 2 halves en remove the pit. Remove the flesh from the peel and mash. Bring to taste with the onion, lemon juice, salt & pepper and garlic.
Mix the tuna with the avocado puree. Spoon the mixture on one half of the lett uce leaf, roll up and close with a dental stick.
- 1 ready to eat avocado BestChoice
- juice of half a lime
- 1 finely chopped green chilipepper
- 1 peeled tomato in small pieces
- 1 chopped garlic glove
- ½ table spoon olive oil
- pepper, salt
Cut the avocado in half, remove the pit and spoon out the flesh. Mix with all other ingredients and mash to a paste. Add pepper and salt to taste. Fresh coriander is a nice addition.
Serve with tortilla chips.
Guacamole is best not made too long on forehand since the avocado will discolour.
Recipe: nashi pear
- 1 orange, ¼ cup juice and shredded rind
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and white pepper
- 2 nashi pears, thinly sliced
- 1 large avocado, peeled, cut into wedges
- 1 smoked trout, deboned and skin removed
- 40g snow pea tendrils
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts, roughly chopped
Whisk orange juice, oil, salt and pepper in a jug until well combined. Add orange rind. Set aside.
Layer pear, avocado, trout, snow pea tendrils and walnuts on serving plates. Drizzle dressing over salads and serve.
recipe by mindfood.com
Recipe: sweet potatoes with avocado and lime
4 sweet potatoes
Hand full op pumpkin seeds
150g Spanish manchego cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C. drizzle olive oil, salt and pepper on the whole sweet potatoes, fold them into aluminium paper and bake in 1-1.25 hour till soft
- When the potatoes are almost done, prepare the filling: chop de avocado’s fine and mix with the juice of half a lime. Roast the pumpkin seeds in a dry pan.
- Open the foil, cut the potatoes lengthwise open and divide the avocado over the potatoes. Crumble the cheese over the mixture and top with pumpkin seeds.
- Serve with lime parts.
(recipe Jamie Oliver)
Recipe: toast avocado - strawberry
- 1 ready to eat avocado
- 100g (Calinda) strawberries
- 2 slices toasted bread
Slice the avocado and strawberries. Put on toast, sprinkle with fresh pepper.