these tasty Turmeric - Curcumas in
your own packaging?
Would you like to discover what's possible?Contact us now
- In the store: min 10°C – max 12°C
- Ethylene sensitivity: low
- Ethylene production: low
- At home: keep refrigerated
Fresh turmeric will keep in the fridge but can also be frozen.
Quality and ripeness
- Spicy sharp to light bitter taste
- The colour of the flesh is bright yellow to orange, the moderately brown
- The shape is rough and a bit lumpy, smaller (about 1 cm in diameter) than ginger
Turmeric is available as a fresh root, dried or as a powder. It is used in Asian cuisine, especially in India. You can also use it in tonics, smoothies or tea combined with ginger, black pepper and honey. Turmeric is a spice which works with any dish, adds a great colour and is also very healthy. It tastes great in all kinds of curries or in soups with squash or lentils. You can add it to sauces and stewed or stir-fried vegetables, meat or fish. You can also add some turmeric to your chicken or fish before grilling it. A healthy smoothie is easy to make with some carrot, orange and a little turmeric.
Turmeric is easier absorbed into the bloodstream when combined with black pepper or chilli.
Turmeric can leave a yellow colour on wooden boards or spoons which is very hard to remove.
Did you know that:
- Turmeric is sometimes used as a dye for ink, clothing, candy, margarine and even liqueur?
- turmeric contains the substance curcumin which has an anti-inflammatory effect by activating anti-bodies in the blood? This process is said to take effect as soon as a little bit of the root or powder is ingested.
- turmeric powder is used to treat small wounds in India?